Unfortunately, the answer to those questions is no. HOWEVER, there are some steps you can take to help contribute to having a great newborn photo session.
When you book a newborn session with Mesa Arizona baby photographer Sally Whetten, you will receive a Newborn Guide with lots of helpful tips.
Here are my top three suggestions that will help baby be sleepy for your portrait session:
- heat. I use a space heater and suggest turning the air up in the house so it’s warmer than usual. OK, when I say warmer than usual I mean that if I’m not sweating it’s not warm enough. Those little naked babies need it warm.
- noise. A noise app on my phone plays womb noise at a pretty decent volume. I recently found out about the baby shusher. It makes a “shhhh” sound loudly that helps babies sleep. I also say “shhhh” babies when they start to stir and it helps.
- milk. When baby has a full tummy they are MUCH more likely to be sleepy. I like when they get a full meal right as we are going to start the session, and then we top off as necessary during. It’s also good to keep a pacifier handy even if baby doesn’t usually take one, just to help them nod off if they start to wake up.
Even with the best of suggestions, advice, tips, pointers, etc. there is just NO way to know what a baby will do during their portrait session. The truth is, baby is in charge. They could be full, warm, with white noise blasting in the room and baby could still be fussy and not able to sleep for their photos. In that case, there are a few options.
- If baby is awake but still calm, you can still have a rockin’ newborn session. You probably won’t get the same types of poses but you can do a lot of the same and just see baby’s open eyes. Those are sweet shots, too.
- If baby is awake and fussy, try wrapping and doing a more lifestyle type shoot, where baby is held by mom and dad. They won’t be the posed type shots, but make it all about the family connections.
- If baby is awake, fussy, and can’t be consoled — reschedule. Everyone will be miserable if the only shots you get are baby crying and mom will be frazzled from trying to soothe baby and not being able to. It will be better to photograph a little bit older baby that is calmer.
I like to get shots with family members holding baby, anyway. Some of my most treasured photos on this earth are the ones of me holding my new babies.
If you need a Mesa Arizona baby photographer, I would be honored to consult with you. Use the contact button and send me a message. Here’s to happy sleeping and beautiful newborn photography! If you use any of these tips, or have some of your own, leave me a comment! I would love to hear from YOU.