What am I referring to? Summer in the AZ desert.
You walk outside and feel your skin burning immediately. But you have kids, and they want – NEED – to get out of the house! (let’s be honest, so does Mama!) Even if it is 115 degrees out there.
What can you do? Where can you go? Summer activities in AZ can be hard to come up with!
Here are 5 ways to get out of the house and stay cool. (as cool as possible, at least)
Splash pads are awesome, especially with littles because the fear of drowning isn’t a factor. Plus, it allows kids to run around and be social. And who doesn’t like playing in water shooting out of the ground? It’s fun!
Here are some great splash pads in the valley:
- Altadena Park Splashpad 3711 E. Altadena Ave, Phoenix
- Glendale Heroes Regional Park 8100 W. Bethany Home Road
- Riverview Park 2100 W. Rio Salado Parkway
- Founders Park Splashpad 22407 S. Ellsworth Road
- Pioneer Park 526 E. Main St.
- Tempe Beach Park 80 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Aquatic Centers are pools on steroids. They have great things like tube slides, high dives, lazy rivers, and other fun water features. (not all centers have all these features, so check them out online before you go!) Some even have family days where admission is super cheap!
Check these out:
- Mesquite Aquatic Center 100 W. Mesquite St. Gilbert
- Hamilton Aquatic Center 3838 S. Arizona Ave Chandler
- Shepherd Aquatic Complex 1407 S. Alta Mesa Dr. Mesa
- Mesquite Groves Aquatic Center 5901 S. Hillcrest Dr. Chandler
- El Dorado Aquatic and Fitness Center 2301 N. Miller Rd. Scottsdale
- Rhodes Aquatic Complex and Flowrider 1860 S. Longmore Mesa
These may not be outdoor, water-filled fun, but the mall is a big air-conditioned place that can be an adventure! Especially when they have nice play areas for the littles. Why not combine fun for mom AND fun for the kids?
- Scottsdale Fashion Square 7014 E. Camelback Rd
- Chandler Fashion Center 3111 W. Chandler Blvd.
- Outlets at Anthem 4250 W. Anthem Way
- Tempe Marketplace 2000 E. Rio Salado Parkway
- San Tan Village 2218 E. Williams Field Rd
Indoor Jungle Gyms
Indoor jungle gyms are a great place to bring the kids to run around for a couple of hours. They can climb, some have rides, and many even have food!
- Uptown Jungle Fun Park 5741 E. McKellips Rd Mesa
- Makutu’s Island 6919 W. Ray Rd Chandler
- Playground’s Fun Zone and Cafe 8190 W. Union Hills Dr. Suite 110 Glendale
- The Play Factory 21001 N. Tatum Blvd Phoenix
- Jumpers Jungle Family Fun Center 9299 E. Olive Ave #406 Peoria
- Jake’s Unlimited 1830 E. Baseline Rd Mesa
Water parks are for big kids and little ones alike. Much more than an aquatic center, you can spend most of the day at a water park! Just bring water to drink, snacks, and a barrel of sunscreen!
- Golfland Sunsplash 155 W. Hampton Ave Mesa
- Big Surf 1500 N. McClintock Dr Tempe
- Wet’n Wild 4243 W. Pinnacle Peak Rd Glendale