Deciding what to wear for a photo session is the hardest part!!
Let me share a few suggestions that I’ve learned over the years to make the process of choosing your outfit easier for you.
Here are my top 5 Tips On What To Wear For Your Maternity Session
- Consider if you are having an outdoor or in studio session. This could hugely impact what you wear for your session. One item that works for either location is a gown that is long (to the ground or close to it). A long dress gives length to your body and is universally flattering to women of all heights. And let’s be honest, a maxi dress is a perfectly beautiful way to conceal swollen ankles!
2. For an indoor session, you can go a couple ways with your wardrobe. A gown is always a good choice, but there is also the option to go with more intimate clothing for a completely different style of session. In this case, I would suggest a beautiful night gown, soft comfy pajamas – pants or shorts with a tank is a good combo, or even something like a lace robe with pretty underwear for a romantic touch.
3. Let’s talk shoes. With an indoor session, there is always the option to go bare footed. If your dress hits the floor, shoes won’t show so I would suggest wearing a comfortable, neutral flat if we are outdoors and the same or barefoot for indoors. If you partner is very tall and you want to add some height with a heel, that’s fine! Just bring a comfy pair of shoes to your outdoor session, so walking to our location isn’t uncomfortable for you. Once we get to our spot you can put the heels on and stash the flats until we need to walk again.
4. Choose solid colors or subtle patterns when choosing your outfit. Loud colors and patterns can be distracting, and maternity sessions are all about the belly! Our goal is to highlight that gorgeous new mama glow, and to showcase that beautiful bump. I have a selection of gowns available for my clients to borrow.
5. Texture can really add a special touch to your portraits. Lace, knits, sheer fabrics, etc. can take your look to a whole other level! Think classic, not trendy when it comes to your clothing choices. You never want your pictures to go out of style! Some of my favorite places to buy maternity dresses are Pink Blush Maternity, Hatch, and Asos.
I hope these 5 Tips On What To Wear For Your Maternity Session were helpful! If you are looking for a photographer to capture your baby bump, reach out to me through my contact form and let’s chat!